Friday, September 10, 2004

0 to 20 in 6 weeks

I've signed up for the Paris 20km road race (20km de Paris) and as I write this, there's a little over 36 days left until the starting gun. I went for a couple of ice-breaker jogs (30mins - very easy going) last week, but last Wednesday was the first day of the training program. I'm going to document my progress here over the coming weeks.

The program (actually intended for a semi-marathon, but let's not quibble about 1.095km at this stage) is based on 3 training sessions per week. The fiancé's no stranger to jogging, having completed her first marathon earlier this year, so I'm really glad to have her as personal trainer and motivator.

I've just completed Day 2, and it was tough.

Completed to date:
Day 1: (week 1 - Wed) 8 x (200m in 58 secs followed by 200m walk/easy jog)
A gentle enough start - tiring for sure, but doable.

Day 2: (week 1 - Fri) 5000m in 28 mins 30 secs
This was daunting, and it took willpower to "keep it together" for the final kilometer or so. I was a bag of jelly when I finished. But it was definitely an achievement.

More anon...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home